Recently I heard a funny story from a fellow photographer. She told us about one current Bride who "blocked" a friend who was also getting married from using said photographer for her own wedding. The photographer said the current Bride was kind and sweet and was not really sure why she was telling her friends not to book her. To be honest, this whole situation baffled me! I did not understand why anyone would block a friend from booking the same photographer, especially if they loved that photographer's work and style! I have had so many past couples and families who have sent my name to so many friends, family members and even co-workers! This whole situation got me thinking and in my typical open minded manner I tried to understand why someone would "Tog-Block" someone. This is what I came up with.
WHY YOU MAY WANT TO BLOCK YOUR FRIENDS FROM USING THE SAME WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER
1. Exclusivity - you want to be the only one with that photographer's work so you can show it off and feel awesome!
2.Geography - maybe you live in a small town and everyone has their wedding at the same venue with the same florist and the same DJ and the photographer was the one vendor you could hire from out of town, just to give you something a little different than everyone else.
3.Entitlement - Are you used to getting what you want and no one else can have it? Just like being the first one in high school to buy that new trendy sweater and getting upset if one of your friends buys it after you. And don't think I mean this in a negative way, its just the "Oldest Sibling Syndrome" of having everything first. (I am the oldest sibling by the way so I get it!)
4.Timing - you booked first and want to be the first to try out this new photographer. Maybe the friend who is now inquiring with the same photographer is actually getting married before you, therefore making you look like the one who "copied" her.
WHY YOU SHOULD NOT BLOCK YOUR FRIENDS
1. Sharing is Caring - Most of us wedding professionals thrive on referrals and our business depends on couples telling other couples about us!
2. Every wedding is so different. Even at the same venue I promise your photos will be different and unique to you. Unless you wear the same dress at the same venue, in the same colours, at the exact same time of day, your images will never look the same.
3. Comfort - Photographers love working with the same couples and friends over and over again! I personally have shot several weddings with pretty much the same wedding party in both and it was amazing! I get to know the wedding party and families more at each wedding and you all become more comfortable with me. Which leads to more fun and enjoyment for everyone when doing portraits!
4. Karma, baby! - You become my favourite person and no good deed goes unnoticed!! I have a few past Brides who refer me to everyone. I mean, everyone! I may not end up being the photographer for all of them but I appreciate the referrals so much that I will send them little thank you treats each time someone books with me. So if you like goodies and good karma, refer all of the vendors you love to your friends! I promise they will all appreciate it!